Friday 10 February 2012

Poetry SLAM.

Perhaps the title is misleading. The following are less a poetry slam, more a poetry tap if I'm honest. These are poems I wrote for my first creative writing university assignment.


4 Haiku

conkers smack
shouts of glee resonate-
new beginnings
*
Indian summer
contrasting with the season
baking in the sun
*
paper thin golden
scattered across the wet dirt-
the ending of lives
*
a singular drop,
a solitary journey
down the sparkling glass

Haiku are not necessarily my strong point, I generally feel like I need more than three lines to express things. Those of you who know me will know that I tend not to shut up, so keeping poems to a minimum like this was pretty hard.



1 Ode

Ode to Rainfall

Tall sunflowers crane up to the clouds
as bodies jostle for space in the parks and the greens.
Complaints of overheating can be heard from the crowds,
and then you come and wash them away, make it clean.

The heavens open and the first drops fall,
after days of burning, you are welcomed by most.
A smattering on the skylight, I listen to your dulcet drawl,
the remnants of Summer are now just a ghost.

The skyline is blackened, ashen clouds hang low.
I’m mesmerised by the new world you show,
as down your droplets throw and throw.

I'm still not feeling this poem, even after hours of tweaking to get it ready to submit. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of flowery poems expressing love for mundane things. 

1 Shakespearean Sonnet

My eyes glaze over as my mind wanders.
An old copy of the Financial Times
brings me far more joy than you, Moll Flanders
with your boring life and your tiresome crimes.
Why must I plough through pages of whoring,
thievery, trickery and dodgy deals?
Why did he bother with your life story?
How does Mr Defoe think us readers feel?
Pray for me, for I am nearing the end.
The conclusion’s in sight, it draws near close.
Moll prays for repentance, I pray again
for the end of this tale, impatience grows.
Finally! The last sentence I have seen!
That book wasn’t too bad, actually.

This is my favourite of the poems, and also the one I found easiest to write. I feel like everybody can relate to the idea of being forced to read something or do something they don't want to, as well as the relief once the task has finished. 

1 Projective Verse

Lollipops for Lead Gen

run in 25 mins late
a reward for each lead
she says
1 hour left “Hi, you’re through to Alex
can I try to sell you shit you don’t need?”

1 lolly
            2 lolly
                        a drumstick makes 3

a note on your account saying you’re due
a financial review
stuttering through
never recover.
she doesn’t B I T E.
lose hope.
“Thanks for your call”

“Hi, you’re through to Alex.”


Although I enjoyed writing this poem, I also found out that I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to poetry. To me, I feel like a line break isn't enough to identify it as poetry. I'm fully aware that poetry doesn't need to 'rhyme' as such, but I'm a stickler for a good old ababcc.

As if you couldn't guess, this poem is about an almost daily event which occurs at work.

TOO MUCH PRESSURE.

No comments:

Post a Comment